Tuesday 1 November 2011

FADT

Alongside the second chapter of Challenges for Computer Games Designers, there was another text that was set for us this week, it was an article by Doug Church from Garmasutra. There was a a quote we had to take notes on in the article:


"games are not books, games are not movies. In those media, the tools used...are used to manipulate the viewers or readers to make them feel or react exactly the way the director or author wants them to. I believe the challenge of computer games design is that our most important tools are the ones that enpower players to make their own decisions".


But before I give my views on it all, I shall put up what I took notes on.


Church mentions something called FADT which stands for Formal Abstract Design Tools. These "tools" are used to help designers design games. As the name suggest you can't really do anything else with them but use them. I will break it down to what the letters and that stand for:


Formal - implying precise definition and ability to explain it to someone.


Abstract - to emphasize the focus on underlying ideas.


Design - as in, yeah the people using these tools are designers.


Tools - since they'll form a common vocabulary we want to create.


So, now you know what FADT stands for, I shall commence.


Intention: making an implement plan of one's own creation in response to the current situation in the game and one's understanding of the gameplay options.


Perceivable Consequence: A clear reaction from the game world to the action of the player. Used in RPGs mainly - either with the plot or the character development. In other words, seeing as X happened, Y will happen. Chrono Trigger can be used as an example here, at the start of the game, you find yourself at the town fair, you have the oppurtunity to go around the town and do things like: take a guy's sandwich when he isn't looking. Then once you've done a few other bits and bobs, you get taken to court, when asked if you have ever stole (and you respond with no) then they'll say that you took a guy's lunch (and show you actually doing that) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEgyMJdv7Y there is a link to the point I am making, just skip to 4:27 to see the scene in the court room.

Story: the thread (be it player-driven or designer driven) that fuses events together and drives the player towards completion of the game. 



Well, the article I thought brought up some interesting points that has made me think of ways I can use these "tools" for when I make my own games, but that being said, I personally think that the games industry, and the movie industry are very similar in the respect it's all entertainment, maybe because I am thinking of it all more as a fan than a designer, or maybe it's just my view on the whole thing. Still, hope you enjoy the read and enjoy looking to hear about your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. your example of perceivable consequences was both amusing and appropriate. I enjoyed reading this response, keep blogging!

    rob

    ReplyDelete